It seems that the gaming community, including developers, has taken up VR and its arrangements. Without trying to predict the future too much, the rise of VR headsets and compatible games could see the ways in which we play games change from the ground up.
One company leading the charge into this new VR world is Facebook and its parent company, Meta.
The Oculus Quest and Oculus Quest 2 from Facebook are most certainly up there with the competition in terms of paving the way for a VR revolution.
In this article, we will be focusing on how to play Minecraft on the Oculus Quest 2.
Minecraft is, as of 2021, the best-selling video game of all time. Naturally, being able to play one of the most popular video games on the latest VR technology, should be relatively easy.
However, playing Minecraft on the Oculus Quest 2 isn’t as easy as you might think, as Minecraft isn’t readily available on the Quest 2.
Is It Possible To Play Minecraft On The Oculus Quest 2?
The short answer to this question is, yes, you can play Minecraft on the Oculus Quest 2.
However, there are a number of prerequisites you’ll need first before being able to launch the game, some of which could be pricey if you don’t already own them.
For owners of the Oculus Rift, there is a native version of Minecraft Bedrock to enjoy. The Bedrock edition can be played on the Oculus Quest 2 as well, with a few minor adjustments.
There are two versions of Minecraft which you can play on the Oculus Quest: The Java Edition and the Bedrock edition as mentioned above.
For those who are interested in a bit of trivia, the game was first written in the Java Programming Language, hence why the original is called the Java Edition.
The Bedrock version is available directly from the Microsoft Store as it is designed for Windows 10. The Bedrock edition is VR-ready but can’t be modded as well as the Java Version.
What Do You Need To Play Minecraft Java Edition On The Oculus Quest 2?
Including the Oculus Quest 2 headset you will need the following in order to play Minecraft on the headset:
- A VR-ready computer (these are usually high spec gaming laptops or towers and have faster graphics cards and processors).
- Oculus Link cable
- Minecraft Java Version
- Steam VR
If some of the items on this list look unfamiliar, don’t worry, we will be explaining what they are and how they come into playing Minecraft on the Oculus Quest 2.
Playing Minecraft Bedrock Edition On The Oculus Quest 2
As mentioned above, Minecraft Bedrock Edition is pretty straightforward to play on the Oculus Quest 2.
Following the steps below will allow you to play it:
- Step 1: Navigate to the Microsoft Store and purchase/install Minecraft if you haven’t done so already
- Step 2: On your computer, launch the Oculus App
- Step 3: Search ‘Minecraft’ and select it
- Step 4: Click on ‘Install’
- Step 5: Put the Oculus on and make sure it’s connected to your computer via the link cable
- Step 6: A menu will appear to Enable Oculus Link, click ‘Enable’
- Step 7: Find Minecraft in your apps list and select ‘Start’
Playing Minecraft Java Edition On The Oculus Quest 2
Getting Minecraft Java Edition on your Oculus Quest 2 is slightly different than the Bedrock Edition. We mentioned certain software you will need earlier in the article. Vivecraft is a cool piece of software that integrates with Minecraft Java Edition in order to play it in VR.
By following the steps below in the order they appear should allow you to play Minecraft Java Edition on your Oculus Quest 2:
- Step 1: Ensure that the latest version of Java is installed on your computer, download it here
- Step 2: Make sure that you have both Steam (available here) and Steam VR (available through the Steam store here)
- Step 3: Make sure that you have purchased and installed Minecraft Java Edition on your computer
- Step 4: Download the latest version of Vivecraft (available here)
(Note: When you land on the Vivecraft homepage, scroll down to ‘Current Versions’ and click the latest version’s hyperlink. This will take you to the Github page with the latest version of Vivecraft)
- Step 5: Once the Vivecraft software has downloaded, launch the file and click ‘Install’
- Step 6: On your computer, launch the Oculus App
- Step 7: Put the Oculus on and make sure it’s connected to your computer via the link cable
- Step 8: A menu will appear to Enable Oculus Link, click ‘Enable’
- Step 9: In your Steam Library, locate Steam VR and select ‘Launch’
- Step 10: Once you’re in the Steam VR user interface, select the ‘Monitor Icon’
(Note: If you have multiple monitors, you’ll need to select the one that Minecraft will run on)
- Step 11: In the virtual desktop, select the Java Edition of Minecraft and launch it
- Step 12: In the Minecraft version selection menu, select ‘Vivecraft’ and hit ‘Play’
Whilst it’s far simpler to play Minecraft Bedrock Edition on the Oculus Quest 2, it’s also not the full Minecraft app or experience.
For those who prefer the full Minecraft VR experience, following the steps above to play Minecraft Java Edition on the Oculus Quest 2 will take your experience of Minecraft to the next level.
- How To Mod Skyrim VR - December 30, 2021
- Can You Use A TV As A Computer Monitor? - December 30, 2021
- How To Charge Oculus Quest 2 Controllers - December 30, 2021