The Oculus Quest 2 has fast become one of the most used and popular VR headsets available on the market.
Created and designed by Oculus, a subsidiary of the newly named Meta, the Oculus Quest 2 is the successor to the hugely successful Oculus Quest from the same company.
The Quest 2 was unveiled in September 2020 during Facebook Connect 7 to widespread praise. As the Oculus Quest 2 becomes ever more popular, and with the advancements in VR technology, it’s always useful to know how to factory reset your headset.
A factory data reset means that performing the steps outlined below will restore you Oculus Quest 2 back to its original software state set by the manufacturer. This means that there will be no users, game or save data and you will need to set up the device again.
There are a number of reasons why you might need to factory reset your Oculus Quest 2 headset. Like all electronic equipment, there might be a fault with the headset that only a factory reset can fix.
Or you might simply want to wipe all the data from the headset and start again. Most notably, the Oculus Quest 2 interface only allows for one user account per device.
Meaning that if you need to change Oculus Accounts or the user on your device, you will need to perform a factory reset.
With this in mind, it’s worth noting that there are two ways to factory data reset the Oculus Quest 2 device, both of which are pretty straightforward. We outline both ways below.
A Warning Before Continuing
If you need to perform a factory reset, it is worth remembering that you will likely lose some of your saved data and user data files on your apps. This is because it is up to third party developers who create apps for the Oculus to integrate cloud save data management.
Whilst the Oculus Quest 2 supports this feature, unless the developer explicitly states that a game supports cloud saves, there’s no clear way to tell if the game does. It’s also worth remembering that a factory reset is irreversible.
Performing A Factory Reset Via The Headset
- Step One: Turn off the headset
- Step Two: Press and hold down the power button and volume down (-) at the same time until a boot screen appears on the headset
- Step Three: Using the volume buttons (+) and (-) on the headset, navigate to and highlight the ‘Factory Reset’ Option. Press the Power button to confirm this option.
- Step Four: Use the volume buttons on the headset to highlight the ‘Yes’ option and press the power button to confirm.
Performing A Factory Reset Via Your Smartphone
Whilst the user interface of the Oculus Quest 2 headset is relatively easy to navigate, you might prefer to use your smartphone to perform the factory reset. Follow the instructions below will allow you to do this:
- Step One: Download the Oculus app onto your phone (if you haven’t already) and ensure you’re signed in.
- Step Two: Make sure your Oculus Quest is powered on and connected to the same WiFi network as your smartphone.
- Step Three: In the bottom menu, tap ‘Devices.’
- Step Four: Select the headset connected to your phone.
- Step Five: Select ‘Advanced Settings’
- Step Six: Select ‘Factory Reset’ and then ‘Reset’
Setting Up The Oculus Quest 2 (again)
Having followed either of the above steps, your Oculus Quest 2 should now be completely wiped.
We’ve included a setting up the Oculus Quest 2 guide, because we’re kind. You might already have the Oculus App on your smartphone (especially if you performed the factory reset from your smartphone).
The set up process for the Oculus Quest 2 is far simpler than performing a factory data reset.
Once your headset and smartphone are both connected to the same WiFi network they will pair and you can complete the rest of the setup process from either your phone or the headset.
Now you’re good to go, again, and can browse and purchase a treasure trove of VR titles from your smartphone or while you’re using the headset.
By following these steps you should now have a wiped Oculus Quest 2 headset and, potentially, a newly set up and ready to go headset. We hope that you’ve found this article useful and easy to follow.